Sour Cream Coffee Cake
The Omnivore has a sure-fire method of getting me baking in the kitchen.
All he has to do is grab his keys, declare there’s nothing sweet to eat in the house, and head out of the door to an overpriced convenience store for stale baked goods.
We both know he’s not going to make it to the Korner Pantry. We both know I’d rather die (almost) that have him spend that much money on that kind of sweet.
He was the one who acquired this recipe in the first place – begging a poor woman to give up the secret after he fell in love with this dessert at an office potluck. I’ve made it nearly a million and a half times since that day. The first blog post I wrote about it can be seen here.
Coffee Cake (from a coworker)
2 cups flour (AP or cake)
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1 cup sour cream
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 t vanilla
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 t cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Mix dry ingredients together; put aside.
- Cream butter and sugar, add eggs and beat well.
- Mix in dry ingredients, then add sour cream; beat well. Mix topping ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Put half batter in greased and floured tube pan. Sprinkle half topping mixture on top.
- Carefully spread the other half of batter on top and then sprinkle the rest of the topping mixture.
- Bake at 350 for approximately 40 – 50 minutes.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 50 minute(s)