Cinnamon Apple Pie with Crumble Topping
I had to go back to her blog multiple times to make sure it was true.
I admit it.
I hoped it was some hoax. Perhaps a hack. But it wasn’t.
A blogger with whom I’ve participated in many virtual showers and events, a blogger with whom I’ve emailed many times and battled with on Words With Friends, a blogger with whom I’m friends on Facebook, suffered the worst Thanksgiving imaginable last week.
Her openness and candor on that day in her blog made me pause and appreciate the family that I have. For that, Annie, I say thank you. And of course I say I’m sorry. But that doesn’t go far.
If I could, I’d deliver you this apple pie. It may bring a sense of comfort to hectic week I’m sure you’ve had. It is homey and comforting. Rustic. Simple. And perfect, just like your dad was.
Cinnamon Apple Pie with Crumble Topping (adapted from Baking Bites)
1 9″ pie crust
4 large granny smith apples
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 425*.
- Remove skin from apples and slice apples very thinly with a sharp knife. Then cut slices into thirds so that you have small bite size pieces of apple.
- Mix apples, sugar, flour, spices, salt and vanilla together in large mixing bowl. Let stand for at least 10 minutes.
- Set aside while dough is rolled out.
- Roll out pie crust to fit your pie plate and place it within your pie plate.
- Make your crumb topping by whisking together remaining flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl. Pour melted butter over flour mixture, and stir with a rubber spatula until large, moist crumbs form.
- Pour apple mixture into the pie crust and gently spread into an even layer.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over apple slices, using your fingertips to break up and distribute the crumbs evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 425F.
- Lower oven temperature to 375F and bake for additional 30 minutes, until apples are tender and crust is browned. If crumb topping becomes too dark, gently tent a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Allow pie to cool completely before slicing.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 50 minute(s)