Green Rice (Parsley Rice)
Sometimes I spend so much time investigating main courses that I totally forget the other parts of the meal. This recipe is so good, however, that it’ll make you forget the main course. The tiny toasted sesame seeds add such a nutty flavor and the copious amount of parsley keeps the dish light and fresh.
I served this dish with simply sauteed squash but I think it would be a great accompaniment for salmon, or any fish really, or chicken. Or beans. Or anything. Or nothing. Just alone. Yum.
Green Rice (adapted from The Natural Cookbook)
1 cup (240 mL) brown rice
5 cups (1 L) water
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Bring water to a boil and add rice.
- Cook rice 30 minutes or until tender.
- Pour water and rice through a fine strainer and return drained rice to cooking pot.
- Place rice, covered with a lid, in pot off heat for 10 minutes while you prepare other ingredients.
- Toast sesame seeds by bringing a skillet to medium-high heat and adding seeds. Cook until fragrant, stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- Add chopped parsley, sesame seeds, oil, and soy sauce to rice. Mix thoroughly.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)