Baked Quinoa Patties
“I am not eating quinoa for dinner.”
“Oh? Then what are you eating?”
I still have trouble convincing my husband that I’m not in the business of making food that he’ll hate. Why on earth would I waste my time making something that I truly think he’ll dislike?
Of course he ended up having quinoa for dinner because, well, who exactly was going to make something else for him to eat? And, no surprise to me, he loved these quinoa patties. I adored them, too. The recipe makes 6-7 of them so we had a few leftover after dinner and I sort of didn’t want to eat them again. I was scared I had built them up in my head to be better than they actually were and that I would be disappointed.
I wasn’t disappointed. They were awesome all over again.
Baked Quinoa Cakes (inspired by 101cookbooks)
2 cups quinoa (cook about 3/4 cups quinoa in 1.5 cups water)
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup very finely shredded cheddar cheese
2 scallions, sliced thinly
1/2 cup oats
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp salt
- If you are starting with uncooked quinoa, rinse quinoa thoroughly. Then add 3/4 cups quinoa to 1.5 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer, and cook 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before moving on.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat eggs and mix with oats. Set aside.
- Combine quinoa, garlic cloves, shredded cheddar cheese, scallions, and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Add egg mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Using your hands, shape 6-7 cakes, about 2.5″ in diameter. Place them on a prepared baking surface (I used a stone but if you are using a cooking sheet, spray it with nonstick spray).
- Bake cakes 30 minutes or until firm and dry.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4