Honey Mustard Baked Chicken Tenders
I accidentally bought chicken tenders at the grocery store.
Not accidentally as in I meant to grab the tempeh but I grabbed the chicken tenders accidentally. It was accidentally as in I’m grocery shopping drunk and OMGYEAHCHICKENTENDERS! and I put them in my cart. I wasn’t grocery shopping drunk but I was under the influence of something because I hesitate when purchasing boneless skinless chicken breasts so why on earth would I want the tenders.
(They were on sale.)
I was just going to roast them and chop them up to make chicken salad, feed them to the Omnivore, then pretend it didn’t happen. But now, after making this recipe, I can’t deny it. I bought chicken tenders. I don’t think chickens have tenders so they were probably just breasts cut into strips. What can I say? They were on sale.
The Omnivore asked me what was on the plan for dinner and I was frank with him. I told him chicken tenders. He sort of shrugged and moved along. After a few bites he said “wow, that deli does a good job on their tenders.” Indignant, I was. What do you mean that deli? I made these here tenders and I’m proud of it!
Baked Honey Dijon Chicken Tenders (adapted from The Comfort of Cooking via Pink Parsley)
1 cup panko (or regular) breadcrumbs
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1 Tbs butter, melted
heaping 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 Tbs honey
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into vertical strips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a baking rack over a baking sheet and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a shallow dish, combine breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
- In another shallow dish, combine the butter, mustard, and honey.
- Working one chicken strip at a time, dip the chicken first into the mustard mixture and then into the breadcrumbs. Be sure to fully coat each strip.
- Arrange the chicken tenders on the baking sheet, and cook 22-25 minutes until they are golden-brown and the chicken is cooked through.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4