Chocolate Banana Brownies
They pretty much serve as garbage disposals for celery butts and lettuce scraps. Composting has gone to the birds but that’s okay because they create plenty of their own compost if you know what I mean. Their favorite treat seems to be orange peels, followed closely by lettuce ends and the requisite carrot. They like cucumbers okay but only if peeled. That’s fine because this guy is a wee bit obsessed with the peels:
All this is to say I don’t get as stressed out when I smell the aroma of quickly ripening bananas on the counter. I used to panic – throwing them in the freezer, whipping up smoothies, making banana bread. Now? I know I’ve always got two eager horses awaiting the bananas’ sweetness.
Sometimes, though, a little baking therapy is just what the doctor ordered. So I ignore the nickers and the neighs from Lucy and Cinco and go about my business, using the bananas for my own benefit. Given the nature of my blog, you would expect bananas in baked goods to be used to healthify that dessert. They are often used to replace fats or eggs. Uhm…this recipe…is not healthy. I make no excuses for it. It is worth the splurge. It is fantastic. Although unconventional, it might be the tastiest brownie I’ve ever had.
The recipe is based on weight measurements so a kitchen scale is required. Don’t let it intimidate you though!
Chocolate Banana Brownies (adapted from 101 Cakes and Bakes)
150 g unsalted butter
180 g brown sugar
200 g dark chocolate
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 large bananas, ripe (if small, increase to 3)
100 g flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9-inch square baking tin with baking paper, spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the butter, sugar and chocolate in a large pan over a gentle flame, stirring until melted and smooth. You may also complete this step in a makeshift double boiler – heating the ingredients over a pot of simmering water.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Combine eggs, vanilla, and banana with a fork, mashing the fruit well. Stir in the combined eggs, bananas and vanilla into the chocolate mixture until well-mixed.
- Sift in the flour and cocoa powder.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 35 minutes.
- Allow the brownies to cool in the tin before cutting into 16 squares.