Buffalo Style Cauliflower
If how I talk to my cat is any indication of how I would talk to human children then I’m full of shit right now. I can count on one hand the number of people that have actually heard my special cat voice but I can assure you, when no one is looking, I’m not talking to my cat like an adult.
So along with that line of thinking is a thought process about hiding vegetables when serving kids. I don’t think I would do that. I would teach my kids to love vegetables for vegetables’ sake, not for ketchup’s sake or ranch dressing’s sake. But, as with the way I talk to my cat, you never really know until you are there, begging your baby to eat something nutritious.
Do kids eat hot sauce? If kids eat hot sauce this recipe is the perfect one to use disguise a vegetable. Sure, I like cauliflower for cauliflower’s sake and I certainly had to fend the Omnivore off with my Norman Bates knife as I was preparing this dish, but this buffalo chicken nugget style side dish was really darn good.
So serve it to your kid or your spouse if you’re trying to sneak veggies in. Or use it as a substitute for chicken nuggets, which is how the recipe was couched when I read it. Or, if you’re like me, make it because you love cauliflower and bar food and are open to merging the two. I feel like this preparation could work with a variety of veggies so if you try it out, come back and report!
Buffalo Style Cauliflower (adapted from PETA via The Curvy Carrot)
1 large head cauliflower, cleaned and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons garlic salt
1 cup buffalo sauce
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, flour, and garlic salt until mostly smooth.
- Place the cauliflower in the bowl and toss to completely coat with the buttermilk mixture.
- Pour the cauliflower in a shallow baking dish and bake for about 15-18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the buffalo sauce and the melted butter in a small bowl.
- Remove the baked cauliflower from the oven and pour the buffalo sauce mixture over it, stirring in the baking dish gently to coat it as best you can.
- Return the cauliflower to the oven and bake for another 5-8 minutes or so. Let cool slightly and serve immediately.