Chicken Pinapple Lettuce Wraps
Lettuce wraps are a good meal to serve dinner guests. They are filled with safe/friendly ingredients presented in a more unique way. They are healthy. They leave room for dessert.
These lettuce wraps, though, might not be that perfect of a good-for-company dish. I threw in a can of pineapple. And some toasted almonds. Scary stuff, people.
True to form, I simply told the Omnivore we were having lettuce wraps and omitted the scary details. After one bite he professed he loved them better than any other recipe we’ve had.
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 carrot, sliced into matchsticks
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 4-5oz can water chestnuts, chopped
- juice from 1 15 oz can crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup toasted almonds
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and trimmed to form lettuce wraps
- chopped cilantro
- Heat skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add chicken breast and cook, 3-4 minutes per side, or until lightly browned. Remove from skillet and set aside. When cool, chop into pieces. Chicken will be uncooked in the middle.
- Add diced carrot and onion to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften and brown slightly, about 7 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, water chestnuts, and ginger. Add chopped chicken to skillet. Cook a few minutes longer until pink no longer is seen on chicken.
- Add teriyaki sauce and stir to coat.
- Add pineapple juice and crushed pineapple and bring chicken mixture to a light simmer. Cook about 10 minutes or until most of the juice is evaporated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fold in toasted almonds. Serve with lettuce leaves for wraps. Use chopped cilantro as a garnish, if desired.