Ginger Fish with Chickpeas
If I could have anything for dinner right now it might just be this. What a day I’ve had! It started with a 3:30am wake up call from the cat, then a 14.5 mile run with my running buddies, then a sprinting session where I chased after my miniature horse who did NOT like being in his new harness.
By noon we were calling the vet to come out and look at one of our other horses who ended up having a surgical procedure right then and there for a massive laceration to his nose.
I’m tired. This fish tastes like it belongs in a restaurant but is easier to whip up than it is to drive into town for dinner. The original recipe doesn’t call for greens, but it made it a one pot meal to me, so I liked the addition. The tomato broth is gingery and spicy while the chickpeas are carb-y and filling.
If only the Omnivore didn’t despise fish – I could make this a little more often!
Ginger Fish with Chickpeas (adapted from a BBC recipe via This Wife Bakes)
- 2 white fish fillets (tilapia, swai, catfish)
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large ginger root, peeled and grated
- chili seasoning to taste
- 3 tsp garam masala
- 2 cups chopped kale
- Season fish with your preferred fish seasoning and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Add to a 15″ skillet the garam masala, tomatoes, chick peas, ginger, and stir to coat.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat stovetop.
- Once boiled stir in the kale and place the fish on top of the chickpea tomato mix and gentle scoop a little of the sauce on top of the fish.
- Place in oven and bake for approximately 12 to 15 mins or until fish flakes when pressed with a fork.