Greek Chicken with Vegetable Orzo
I had a pretty busy week last week: various after school obligations, doctor’s appointments, my mom’s art opening an hour away in the big city. So when I saw this recipe on Elly’s blog marketed as “15-minutes” I penciled it in for dinner. I knew that it would definitely take me more than 15 minutes (stopping to sequester the cat into the back bedroom, pausing to kiss my elderly dog on the nose, becoming entranced by a story on the evening news) but I knew it would far less than 30 minutes and these days that’s a win.
Also…it had some flavors that got us out of our usual rut. I’ve just been sort of uninspired with the cooking lately (hence the infrequent blog updates) and have sort of been milling around in a circle of familiar flavors (burritos, pastas, take-out).
I buy individually frozen chicken breasts from Costco which are awesome and thaw quickly in the sink. I threw a couple of frozen breasts into the sink, ran out to the barn and did whatever I do out there that takes so long, and came back to chicken ready to be cooked.
The meal came together quickly as promised and was quite delicious. It was refreshing to have some new flavors on our palates and it was refreshing to truly enjoy dinner again (rather than just going through the motions as you do with chores like brushing your teeth).
It is sort of a one pot meal and I packed it all up and ate it cold for lunch the next day. It was fantastic.
Green Chicken with Vegetable Orzo
(adapted from Jamie Oliver)
- 1-1.25 lbs. chicken breast, pounded 1/2″ thin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small green bell pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. chopped dried dill
- 1/4 cup black olives
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Tzatziki sauce for serving
- Bring chicken broth and water to a boil stovetop. Add orzo and cook according to package directions.
- Meanwhile season the chicken on both sides with the oregano, allspice, lemon zest, and salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and once hot, add the chicken. Cook through, about 4 minutes per side. Rest for a few minutes before slicing into strips.
- Next, remove the stem and seeds from the peppers and chop coarsely. Combine with sliced green onions, black olives, feta cheese, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl.
- When orzo is tender, rinse in cold water and add to your bowl with the vegetables. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the juice of the lemon, dried dill, and remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top with sliced chicken breasts and tzatziki sauce.