Massaged Kale Salad with Apples, Cranberries, and Nuts
My eating really changes when my husband travels for work. I cook in large portions than usual, believe it or not, to minimize the amount of cooking I do while he’s away. I eat less meat. I eat way more kale.
There’s a big local farm nearby. I do a lot of my long runs around their fields. They also sell their produce that I watch grow from tiny seedlings to my local grocery store and I always feel a little nostalgic when I buy their products. What a dork!
Anyway, they sell giant bags of pre-cut, pre-washed kale. I love to buy the stuff and add handfuls to smoothies, pasta, and stir fries. It also makes a great main course, though, even when eaten raw. The trick to enjoying kale raw is to massage it with olive oil. This tenderizes it and makes it much more palatable. To the massaged kale I added chopped apples, cashews, cranberries, and cheddar cheese (not pictured – it was an after thought. I also added feta cheese to another batch!). The salad was topped off with a drizzle of honey – absolutely delicious!
Massaged Kale Salad
- 5-6 cups raw, washed, chopped kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 granny smith apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup salted cashews
- cheddar cheese or feta cheese
- salt and pepper
- 6-8 teaspoons honey, divided
- Combine kale and olive oil in a large bowl and massage 5-6 minutes until kale is thoroughly covered and tender. Kale’s pale green color will transform in to a dark green color.
- Toss apple, cranberries, and cashews with kale.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Plate into desired portions, topping with cheese if desired.
- Drizzle each plate with 2-3 teaspoons honey.