Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches
I went to a real live tea party recently. We were taught about the traditions of English Tea and we enjoyed the company of fine Southern ladies. We had scones that were nothing like the scones we bake up here in the US. There were clotted creams and jams and tiny finger sandwiches.
One of the small bites served at the tea party was pineapple cream cheese sandwiches. What a wonderful combination. It reminded me of these awesome sandwiches, which combine cheddar cheese, pineapple, and marinated chicken.
I know that meat and fruit or perhaps cheese and fruit seems like an odd combination. Just envision your favorite cheese platter and you’ll convince yourself that cheese and fruit are a worthy combination. If you love this sandwich I suggest you try the classic pineapple cheese casserole seen a many Southern Easter dinners.
Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches (adapted from So Tasty, So Yummy)
- 1 large boneless skinless breast of chicken
- 1 8 oz can pineapple rings (4 rings), juice reserved
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 hamburger buns
- cheddar cheese
- Pound out the chicken breast and slice into two pieces. In a medium bowl, combine the juice from the pineapples, soy sauce, brown sugar and mustard. Add chicken and marinate the chicken 4 hours or overnight.
- Heat a skillet to medium and spray lightly with olive oil. Add chicken and cook 3-4 minutes per side until fully cooked.
- Add the cheese near the end to melt.
- Remove chicken and let rest on a cutting board. Add pineapple rings to the same pan and cook over medium heat until they begin to brown.
- Arrange chicken and 1 pineapple ring on buns and serve.